6.16.2010

Wounded Warrior Half Marathon

Sunday, June 13th, Adam ran his first half marathon!!!  Now, he will not brag about this and I'm not sure he thinks it's all that big of a deal, but really, I'm pretty proud of him!  We've been kind of training for this for about 3 months or so. 

When I say "kind of training," it's mostly because we didn't want to jinx ourselves.  When Adam and I did a 20K a few years ago, he had a lot of knee problems and pushed through the pain.  When we tried to train for Cowtown last year, I got an IT band injury that put me out of it.  When I was training for the San Antonio marathon last year, we got into the car accident.  So, we didn't want to get all wishful about this race.  We just did our runs, built our distance, and took care of ourselves.  We even took it as far as not even registering until 3 weeks before.  Lo and behold the day came and we were healthy, trained, and we made it do Dallas collision free. :)
This is really early on.  Yes, Adam is sporting the sweatband.  It was its debut race.  And yes, we ended up beating those people in the end, but we didn't finally pass them, pass them until around mile 8.
 
Melanie came out to cheer us on.  She was a GREAT cheerleader!
Adam really wanted to take a picture in front of the Hummer.

It was a very hot race.  That made it pretty hard to get through.  They even ran out of water at the mile 9 water stop (which really freaked me out mentally, but that's a whole different story).  With that said, I think we did pretty well considering.  My finish time was 2:26:11.  Adam came in before me this time at 2:25:57.

With this race under my belt, I feel like I am officially in "Chicago Training Mode."  I haven't really been too public about training for it, but it's official.  I am training for the Chicago Marathon on 10/10/10.  Hopefully, this year, nothing gets in the way of my running goals. ;)

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Congrats, Adam! And great job pacing him along, Jen. :)

    Chicagooooooo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to both of you!! I didn't realize this was Adam's first half until Melanie told me the other day. That's awesome! And congrats to you, Jen. Considering you weren't walking too well a year ago, it's crazy to think you just ran a half marathon and will be running a FULL marathon in just a few months. Will a certain someone be running that one with you?? :)

    And I like the sweatband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just noticed how awesome those medals are. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete