6.24.2010

Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I really enjoyed this book about the world of geisha in Japan. I got completely caught up in the world Golden created. I couldn't put it down and found myself holed up in the house for two days while I read it. Of course there's all the normal stuff that makes a good book: a romance, a hero--Sayuri, a villain--Hatsumomo, plotting, and mystery. I particularly enjoyed being drawn into the world of the geisha.

The plotting the geisha did to try and get what they wanted out of a world that they had no control over was what drove the story for me. I watched the movie after finishing the book, and since this wasn't really really a central theme in the movie, I didn't care for the movie nearly as much. Usually, I'm good about keeping the movie and the book separate because they are two separate things altogether. But the movie's focus on the love story reminds me that we all take different things from books. For the screenwriter of the movie, the love story and Sayuri's journey were what she took from it.

The thing that I take from it is that no matter what hand we're dealt, that we can get what we want from life if we are willing to do what it takes to achieve it.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment