Mud Maxx was a run that Adam and I wanted to do last year, but it didn't really work with our schedule. So this year, we were sure to make sure we could run it. This race was so AWESOME!!! We had a blast. I had a big 'ole grin on my face like a kid in a candy store for most of it. It was full of mud pits and shallow pond crossings. Not to mention several steep, scrambling climbs. I wish I had pictures of the course, but we didn't want to risk dropping the camera or something.
Before the race--mud free
The race was not timed in any way, shape, or form which added to the fun of it. I think sometimes when I'm racing, I pay attention to the time a bit more than just the fun of the experience. We did not hold back one bit in the mud pits. Some mud pits were total sludge and some were a water/mud combo that would clean off all the sludge. In one of the pits, my leg sank in clear up to my knee. I seriously would squeal out of excitement when I found myself sinking and slipping around. I will admit that I did get a bit worried every now and then about hurting myself during my Chicago training. The start line cracked me up. It really shows how this race wasn't about all the stuff a typical race is.
There was a motley crew out for this race. About half the people were dressed up in some way for the event. We saw Mudzilla, Mudstien, football players in full gear, ghetto girls complete with pants on the floor and grillz, Willy Wonka, Rambo, and a lot of the typical tie dye, cammo, lettered shirts, etc. Adam and I keep saying we need to dress up for a race. I think we might do it for the first time for the night beach run in August. Any ideas?
After--Adam is a bit cleaner than me because he went through a watery pit at the end I wanted to avoid in order to stay muddier :) All the globs of mud on my leg are from Adam throwing it at me. I think it makes me look like I had an accident.
There were fire trucks there that hosed us off so we could enjoy the post race hot dogs and what not. I think we should do more really muddy trail runs because as I type this, Adam is making dinner all by himself. I could get used to this. Not a bad Saturday. :)








Very cool. Some great races to choose from.
ReplyDeleteMaybe next year dress up as white swans or the Pope. :)