The House at Sugar Beach: In Search of a Lost African Childhood by Helene CooperMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
The House at Sugar Beach is a great memoir. Helene Cooper was born into wealth in Liberia, but her life completely changed when a coup took over the government when she was 13. She then became a refugee that fled to the United States even though she never thought of herself that way. She tried to distance herself from being Liberian for most of her life as a way to deal with the horrific events that took place in Liberia.
Since I was younger and did not really care for current events at the time, I had no idea of the tragedies that unfolded in Liberia. This book was really eye opening.
Cooper does a great job telling her story and I'd recommend this to others that enjoy memoirs, nonfiction, and history.
View all my reviews >>







No comments:
Post a Comment