6.20.2010

First Fall(s)

I fell for the first time on the trails today. 

Actually, I fell twice.

We tried out some new trails at WG Jones State Forest this morning.  Most of the trails are actually service roads which were really sandy and difficult.  Not to mention pretty boring.  But there were some pretty cool offshoots off the main trail.  On one of these such offshoots is where I took my first tumble on the trail.

In trail running, it's pretty common for me to stumble on a root here or there.  You just have to recover pretty quick and stay light on your feet to actually stay on your feet.  This morning, my legs were pretty tired and heavy after the mud race yesterday and I wasn't as focused as I usually am on the trail.  I started to stumble.  I tried recovering.  I did not want to fall.  Something in my brain did not want me to fall.  I just kept stepping smaller and smaller as my body was getting closer and closer to the ground until I hit and I so much momentum I just skid across the forest floor.  And I mean SKIDDED.

I was behind Adam, so he missed the whole thing.  It sort of shook me up a bit.  Again, I'm thinking, "Don't get hurt.  You WILL run Chicago."  I used my sweat towel to clean myself up.  I had some scratches, but luckily nothing bad.

Then, about 10 minutes later, I fell AGAIN!  I mean, COME ON!  I ran in total darkness with only a headlamp just 6 weeks ago and didn't even come close to falling and now, I'm falling twice in one run?  The first fall scuffed me up on my right side and the second fall scuffed me up on my left side.  At least I achieved balance.

For the second fall, Adam was behind me.  As soon as he checked to make sure I was okay and helped to clean me off, he started off again and looked back and just started laughing.  But it's okay, it WAS kind of funny.

So, to all my trail running family, how come I have never heard your falling stories?  Surely, I can't be the only one??  Or maybe I am.  I am kind of a klutz when it comes to athletic stuff.  I have a few scars from my biking days. 

3 comments:

  1. hee hee hee.

    My worst fall was during my 100k when I tripped over a shadow and cut my hand open. I've fallen several times on trails but nothing too bad - I'm a good crasher, I think. I've read articles specifically about falling while trail running and what the best action is (log-roll, headfirst slide, push-up position, etc.)

    Karl Meltzer (big-time ultra champ) has had three big fall in the past two months (broken arm, bruised ribs, possible broken shoulder), and another guy I follow nearly ripped a nipple off when he crashed into a tree on a trail race last weekend -- nasty tree burn.

    It happens. And it's usually funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done a lot of trail running, so I haven't had much opportunity to fall. But I do see people coming off of trails during ultras (when I watch Dad or Scott) with bloody heads, knees, etc. Every time I bike I think about your bike fall and I remind myself to be very careful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott--I did the slide method. Didn't know there was a method to the madness.

    Lisa--I'm glad you're being careful!!

    ReplyDelete