7.22.2010

Too Hot to Handle 15K

One year ago I ran this race; hours later my life changed.

This year, I was back for more (of the race that is).  I was looking forward to this race for quite a long time.  Adam, Melanie, and I were planning to run it together and have fun.  That's just what we did...for about half of it.  At the halfway point, something just came over me.  I just starting thinking about everything I've been through this year.  This put me in the zone and slowly, but surely, I started to pull away from Adam and Melanie.

I didn't mean to leave them.  I wasn't being competitive or anything; I was just in this strange zone of reflection.  It was kind of cool having them behind me though because I kept thinking they'd been behind me throughout this year that it made sense they were behind me in this milestone race.  Adam snapped a picture of me after I took off.
The heat was brutal.  The race was tough.  But I did it.  Much like I've continued to do each and every day this past year.  Adam pushed himself to the limit to catch back up to me.  This was after running by myself for about 3 miles.  I don't know how he did it.  He really can pull out some crazy energy sometimes on our runs.

Finishing this race wasn't emotional or sentimental like I thought it would be.  It was more like I had something to prove.  To who or what, I'm not sure.
I'm not sure if I'll return to run this race again in the future.  It might be better left behind.  I think I did what I needed to do.

The race wasn't all serious business though.  We did have a good time too :)

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing another race. I was tearing up just reading your post thinking about everything you have been through in the past year. So proud of you! We were in dallas last weekend as well for a tri for scott...wish i could have been at your race to cheer you on as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! It was fun! You and Adam are seriously awesome. I have no idea how y'all did that last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a great race! All three of you look SOOOO good in the pictures. Y'all must be running a lot or something. :)

    ReplyDelete