Highlight of the week: seeing Bambi and his brother
Low spot of the week: everything else
Seriously, the best part of the week by far was happening upon two fawns in the back of The Woodlands. They just stood there and stared back at us. I couldn't get over how big their ears were on their tiny little heads.
The rest of the running week was difficult. Each run was hard. I was really fatigued. The 14 mile long run was especially difficult to get through. I knew a week like this was coming. It was just a matter of time. That's how training seems to go for me. I'll have a few weeks where everything is good, and then I'll have a week that just isn't. Don't worry, I'm not having a pity party and I'm definitely not giving up or second guessing my goals. It's like that song, "Momma said there'd be days like this." Sometimes, there are just weeks like this.
On difficult runs like Saturday's long run, I have always found it helpful to have a mantra. I really believe a lot of running is mental and having some sort of mantra to push me along is a good mind game for me. Saturday's was "I'm walking on air." I just repeat it over and over in my head. It helps me to stay focused and settles me into a regular pace.
This week also brought back a distance training running routine that I haven't done in a while. ICE BATH! Yes, I'm crazy. I sit in the bath with two bags of ice for 10 minutes. It makes me feel so much better when my legs are hurting after all the pounding. To help keep me warm, I wear a fleece and drink coffee or cocoa. I'll sit and read a magazine until my 10 minutes are up and get in a nice hot shower. I've tried to talk so many runners into this routine and I have yet to convince anyone of even giving it a try. I'm convinced that once someone tries it and experiences the benefit of an ice bath, it will become part of their regular routine.
I have to give props to Adam this week because he is working like a dog on a quote for some overseas company. Due to the drilling moratorium in the Gulf, it is really important to snag business overseas right now. He has been working 12 hour days every day and has had to work over the weekend as well. But he's still hanging with the training. I'm very proud of him. (The good news is that right after all this work is due, we're going on vacation to Colorado!)
Next week we're looking forward to running the Too Hot to Handle in Dallas with Melanie.
7.11.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







It's all peaks and valleys...just like the perfect trail race. :)
ReplyDeleteI definitely have bad weeks and kind of anticipate them when I've been having a few good weeks in a row. Some of my mantras: "I'm strong", "Relax, Power, Glide" and I like to think about what I will treat myself to after a sluggish long run--Caramel Apple Spice from Starbucks (during the winter), Mexican food, massage, ice bath (I love them, too!), or a nap. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteI need my mantras to be multi-syllabic, weird, huh? Thinking about what I want to do after just makes me hate it more though :)
ReplyDeleteThat's why I knew a bad week was coming b/c I had a few really good weeks before. Feeling better now though!