8.23.2010

Tax Free Weekend

In an effort to fund my extra-curricular activities (ie: race entries, craft stuff, etc) I've been looking for some part time work.  I'll be going to a substitute teacher training tomorrow that gives me clearance to start subbing, but before that fell into place, I took a part time "on call" position at Macy's.  That's right, Macy's.

It was like a blast to my past when I was in high school working at JC Penney and Academy.  Only this time, I didn't think that it was the coolest job ever.  I have worked 5 shifts and I have one more four hour one I picked up this Saturday and that will be the last one.

I could make a really long list of why I'm quitting after only 6 shifts.  Everything from co-workers that take 30 minute breaks and boss me around like I'm their subordinate to more important reasons related to after effects of the accident that I'm still dealing with. 

One thing that is missing from my list of reasons to not continue working there is dealing with the customers--whether they were upset or not, I do enjoy working with people.  I firmly believe that a positive attitude and a smile go a long way with people in general--in all walks of life whether you're a customer, a teacher, a sales associate, a complete stranger, or a friend.

Last weekend was tax free weekend, and this means, of course,  it was extremely busy at Macy's.  I did have a few funny stories come out of the chaos.  One, a customer actually stole Godiva chocolates.  They took the package into the dressing room, ate them all, and left the trash.  And two, a guy tried to pick me up by asking me if I was on facebook.  To which I responded no, and laid my hands out flat on the clothes I was folding so that he would take notice of my wedding ring.  Of course, being married, people do not generally try to pick me up because I'm not out without Adam often, but I would have never guessed that the new thing is picking up women through facebook.  I almost laughed out loud at him.

Thankfully, tax free weekend is over and my brief, yet action packed time with Macy's soon will be as well.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I could ever work in that type of retail job.

    ReplyDelete