5.07.2010

It's Over!

Wax museum that is.  What a huge load off my shoulders.

For those that have never heard me talk about it or didn't do a wax museum when you were in 5th grade--wax museum is a big project for the 5th graders at my school.  The students select an American that has made a significant impact on our nation whether it was through government, science, art, literature, etc.  The students research all about the person and create a poster that shows what they've learned and then at the end, we have wax museum night.  Wax museum night is a night when the students then dress up as their person and pose in front of their poster while all the parents go through the halls to see all the students.

It is very hard work orchestrating this project:  bringing it all together, making sure each child is creating something they can be proud of, and of course, making it through wax museum night.  I have to say that my kids knocked this project out of the park.  They did absolutely amazing.  For the past month, they've been working so hard in class.  Then on Tuesday night when I got to finally see all the costumes they'd been working on at home, I was blown away.  It felt really good to know that all my hard work paid off for my kids to have a great night and to truly feel proud of themselves.  I believe they will look back at wax museum and have good memories just like I still do.  I was Betsy Ross when I was in 5th grade.  Oh yes, sewing the flag and powder in my hair and all.  :)

So, one big hurdle done...now just 4 more weeks left!

5 comments:

  1. I would be Ruth Wakefield if I could go back the the 5th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha Scott! I think she made an impact on all of our lives. Yum. I think I need chocolate chip cookies soon. Jen, that sounds fun! I don't remember doing that. I agree with my mom. Pictures please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott--I had to look her up!

    Jean, Melanie--look in your email, I sent you a smile box I made for my kids, but cannot post their pictures online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked Melanie who she was! I was embarrassed thinking I should know her. The costumes are fantastic. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete