5.21.2010

The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is the story of Denny and his wife and daughter told through Denny's dog Enzo. All I knew about this book when I started it was that it was a book told through the eyes of a dog and that was enough to make me interested.

This book was such a surprise. It is thoughtful, funny, and yes sad. Very sad. But don't let that keep you from reading it. If I had known it was so sad, I probably would have passed it up because I seem to be reading nothing but sad books lately. The book isn't just sad for the sake of being sad. You're truly taken into the lives of Denny, Eve, and Zoe. The author built the characters well and so you find yourself wrapped up in them.

I think it would be so cool if dogs really did think like Enzo. I love how he intervened and sent messages in the only way he knew how. It's fun to think about the possibility of my dogs being able to do that.

I'd like to say that I'm going to start some fun summer reading next to get me out of my depressing book slump, but book club is reading The House of Sand and Fog for next month.  I read it a while back and loved it.  I'm listening to it this time around which is a unique twist as there are different people speaking with the different narrators throughout the book.

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting. If I ever decide to read another book this might be one of them.

    ReplyDelete