4.30.2010

So Stinkin' Cute!

(And super easy too!!)

I recently learned how to make a fabric flower.  It is sooo easy and it only takes about 15 minutes from start to finish to get the end result below.

To make your own fabric flower, you'll need the following supplies.
  • 2-3 feet of fabric or ribbon; I used ribbon for this one.  Longer fabric means a fuller flower.  You can always trim off extra at the end.  The fabric should be 1-2 inches wide.  The wider it is, the bigger the flower.
  • Something to put in the middle like a button.
  • Needle and thread.  I've used denim thread and clear jewelry thread because they are thicker.  It helps to be able to tug on it without fear of it breaking.
Next, you'll start doing a strait stitch along the bottom.
Continue the stitch until you have reached the end of the fabric.  Then pull the thread tight allowing the fabric to bunch up.
It will start to coil around in a spiral.  Shape the spiral into a flower.  Then do several stitches to join all the layers of the flower together.  You know you're finished when the flower is secure.
The last step is sewing on your button in the middle.
Then voila!  You've made a cute little flower.  This would be great for hair bows, gift wrapping, decorative pillows...there are so many possibilities!  There are also so many ways to variate it for a totally different look.  I am just so excited about it, I had to share it!

4 comments:

  1. I think I might maybe try it for Zoe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that would be so cute! Let me know how it turns out! I promise, it is totally easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You lost me at needle and thread. It's really cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever! You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete