4.24.2010

Autism Awareness

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism is a brain disorder that is affecting more and more children each year. My experience with Autism is limited in teaching a number of students that fall on the spectrum. I've been thinking about it a lot lately because I just finished reading House Rules and one of my Autistic students just withdrew from school in order to be home schooled because he couldn't function in the public school environment anymore.

People with Autism fall on a "spectrum" according to their verbal abilities, functioning, and symptoms. All sufferers have a difficult time with social interaction and are really sensitive to being over stimulated through noise, touch, smells, etc.

This video reveals a lot of information about how the number of children with Autism is rising and some cutting edge medical research that is being done. I found it very enlightening--especially the brain scans and DNA gene mutation.


Watch CBS News Videos Online

No comments:

Post a Comment