The cooler weather has really enlivened me and helped me to pick up the pace and run full of energy. I love runs like that. I hope I don't push it too hard. There's a fine line between taking advantage of the weather and feeling good and overdoing it and ending up injured.
The highlight and worst part of the week was the same run: the epic long run. We set out to do a 20 miler in The Woodlands. Thanks to missing a turn somewhere, it actually turned into a 23 miler. We ran strong for most of the run, but near the end, the temperatures were really rising and my body did not want to cooperate with what my brain and my heart wanted to do. Even so, we trucked through it and finished.
Believe it or not, this will not be my longest run before Chicago. Since I'm also training for the Goblin Valley Ultra Marathon, we will also do a 25 mile trail run in Huntsville in a few weeks. Training for two distance races so close together means that I won't truly be doing a "taper" like I might have otherwise, but I don't think it will affect me since I don't really have a time goal in mind for Chicago.
before the run
Notice the mohawk and facial hair? Adam did a special hairdo for his fantasy football draft party a few nights before and kept it for the run.
turtles along the nature trail section of our run; there were SO many...the camera couldn't catch them all
This was about mile 21 or so. Do not let the smile fool you. I did not feel good. I decided to try the "fake it til you feel it" strategy.
Adam felt pretty good throughout the run. Must have been that magic gel he had earlier. Or maybe he has a better music mix than I do. Hmmm....
Believe it or not, Adam went into HEB like this. Sans hat. We had to get four bags of ice for the much needed post epic long run ice bath.







I LOVE the hairdo! I can't believe y'all have a month until Chicago. I'm so excited for you! Great job on your epic long run. Although I feel like every long run is epic. :) I have my first 20 miler this Saturday--I'm nervous. And I agree with you about not overdoing it with the nicer weather.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the rest of your training!
Haha! Adam's hair! I think he should keep it like that until Goblin Valley is over. Like Lisa said, I'm so excited for y'all to do Chicago also. And then we ALL get to do Goblin Valley. Yay!!!
ReplyDeleteAdam, love the hair! :)
ReplyDeleteGood job to both of you.